I kind of a disappeared on you guys there for a while didn’t I. I should apologise for that. Maybe it was a case of blogger burnout or just lack of inspiration, I’m not sure but I know I was comparing myself too much to other people and I needed a break. I work four days a week plus running around after a crazy toddler and everything else and I was beating myself up for not being at the same standard as the awesome bloggers who do this for a living. Of course I can’t keep up with that. So I stepped back and I waited for myself to miss it. It got to October and I started to think about recipes again and tested out some ideas and slowly I started to want to write again. So I'm back with this beauty.
I always break out the slow cooker when the temperature drops at this time of year. It's so comforting to get home from work and have a meal ready and waiting. I make all the slow cooker regulars, cottage pie; beef stew; pulled pork and even roast chicken but one thing I love to make is dessert. This bread pudding is sheer carby perfection smothered in salty vanilla butterscotch sauce. Plus it's super easy! It's a great idea if your oven is busy cooking a big meal like Sunday dinner and you haven't got room anywhere else to cook a dessert because you can plug a slow cooker in anywhere.
I used a digital slow cooker which is brilliant because you can set a countdown for it to come out later in the day. My old one was manual so it had to be on all day which was it's main downside. It also switched to 'keep warm' mode when it's finished cooking. I used it to make a cottage pie filling last week and it did a fantastic job. I just boiled up sweet potato to mash when I got home and transferred it to the oven for 25 minutes (topped with copious amounts of cheddar cheese obviously!).
Slow Cooker Brioche Bread Pudding with Salted Butterscotch Sauce
1 loaf brioche, sliced
250ml whole milk
250ml double cream
50g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
light brown sugar
butter, for greasing
for the sauce:
100g unsalted butter
50g light brown sugar
125ml double cream
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- Grease your slow cooker with the butter. Lay the sliced brioche to cover the base and sprinkle with brown sugar and flaked almonds. Repeat this layering process until all the bread is used. Finish with sugar and almonds on the top.
- Whisk together the eggs, sugar, milk, cream and vanilla and pour all over the bread.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours.
- When you are ready to serve, make the sauce. Melt the butter in a medium pan on the hob and whisk in the light brown sugar and double cream until combined. Simmer for 5 minutes then stir in the salt and vanilla. Leave to cool slightly and transfer to a jug. The sauce works hot or cold so you can make it in advance if you want.
- Pour over the sauce and drizzle a little extra double cream on as well.