First of all, I'm sorry for how long it has taken me to post. January consisted of me procrastinating a lot and also being glued to my new sewing machine. If you follow me on IG >>> you might have noticed there's been less cake and more fabric. I think the break from the kitchen has done me some good though. Kathryn wrote a brilliant post last week on not blogging for the sake of it and I feel like that's what I was heading towards. Blogging because I have to is not fun for me to write and most likely not fun for you to read so I'm relaxing abit in the hope that I can come up with better recipes.
Like this awesome granola!
My healthy eating has really only started in the last week. I was easing myself into the year armed with toast and chocolate mug cakes...my downfall and definitely not paleo ;) well, to be fair neither is this recipe but it is healthier than a mug cake and it tastes GOOD.
Also...it turns milk chocolatey. That's all we want in life really. Breakfast that's pretty good for you and gives you chocolate milk in return. Nick was developing a pretty bad post-Christmas cocoa pops habit so I've managed to wean him onto this so he gets his chocolate cereal fix with a little less of the refined sugar.
I think the idea with granola is that you are supposed to sprinkle a little bit on your yoghurt and fruit but I am partial to a huge bowl of it with enough milk to wet the granola but not swimming in milk. I have milk issues, in that, the very idea of drinking a glass of milk makes me heave. Unless it's chocolate milk, then I'm fine.
I really love the tahini in this. The finished granola doesn't taste of tahini but it just brings out the flavour of the other ingredients really well without being overpowering. It goes so perfectly with the cocoa and coconut.
- You can replace the maple syrup any other sugar substitute - chek amount equivalients though. I'd like to see how it turns out with a date syrup so if you try it let me know.
- As with any granola, pretty much everything is interchangeable *thumbs up emoji*
Chocolate, Tahini and Coconut Granola
(adapted from What Should I Eat for Breakfast Today)
75g coconut flakes
75g cashews, roughly chopped
75g whole almonds, roughly chopped
60g cocoa powder
70g coconut oil
130ml maple syrup
2-3 heaped tablespoons light tahini, dependant on preference
100g dark chocolate, chopped into small chunks
- Preheat your oven to 160 C/ 325 F/ Gas Mark 3. Line two large baking sheets with greaseproof paper. In a large bowl, toss together the oats, coconut and nuts.
- In a small pan over a medium heat, melt the coconut oil and mix in the maple syrup and tahini. Finally add the cocoa powder and stir until combined.
- Take off the heat and pour over the oats mixture. Stir until the oats are nearly covered in the liquid. I found I had to get in there with my hands really mix it in.
- Spread the oats over the baking sheets and bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Stir the oats around and bake for an other ten. Make sure you move the oats around every few minutes to make sure they don't burn.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely before adding the chopped chocolate and pouring into an airtight container.