Another absence, I'm not the most regular poster this year but it will improve. The last two months have been abit crazy so I'll give you a brief update. First of all, the biggest news is that I'm expecting baby number 2! I'm 14 weeks and due end of January 2017. Just like with Matilda, the first trimester has seen me nauseous all day every day and barely able to cook anything from scratch. Early pregnancy seems to make me hate the kitchen - which I hate because normally I love to cook.
Secondly, we've been renovating our new home and just moved this weekend. We now have a beautiful new grey and white kitchen and a home that is ours. It's really nice to have a kitchen now that I'm proud to take food photos in, it's light and modern and exactly the kitchen Nick and I talked about having for years. We kept all the old units and simply painted them with grey cupboard paint. We replaced the sink, tap, worktop and appliances and put new tiles on the wall. So we saved by keeping the units but it's made a big difference by replacing the other parts. You can see a little pic on my instagram here. The rest of the house has had the usual new plaster on the walls, fresh coat of paint, lighting and new flooring. We've been there 3 nights and it already feels like home.
So now I'm finally starting to feel less nauseous and we are all moved in so I can get back to doing what I love...baking.
It's been some time since I baked with Nutella...I usually just end up eating it straight out of the jar. I had a mini craving for it recently when I was ordering the food shop so I added a jar to the basket. I really wanted to make an easy extra chocolatey muffin recipe, I added sour cream to this as it works so well with chocolate and gives the muffins a wonderful texture - moist (sorry!) but still crumbly. I'm still in love with my new AEG oven, which looks perfect in the new kitchen, and I'm not ashamed to say I sat for a good while just watching these rise as they baked.
Double Chocolate Nutella Muffins
recipe adapted slightly from Call Me Cupcake
300g plain flour
80g cocoa powder
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
pinch of salt
250g caster sugar
100g unsalted butter, melted
200g sour cream, room temperature
50ml whole milk, lukewarm
2 large eggs
150g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Preheat your oven to 200 C/400 F/gas mark 6. Fill a muffin tray with cases and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk the sugar, butter, sour cream, milk and eggs together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just combined.
- Add around 3/4 of the chopped chocolate - reserving the rest for the top of the muffins - and stir to evenly distribute.
- Fill the cases half full, add a heaped teaspoon of nutella and top with more muffin mix to the case until it is full. Sprinkle with the remaining chocolate.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a cocktail stick comes out clean. 18 minutes was enough for me.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the tray.