Healthy French Toast

Sundays are not meant to be much effort. Set a late alarm, if any alarm at all. Throw together breakfast, boil the kettle and curl up in PJs ready to eat. French toast is the perfect comforting breakfast but it doesn't need to be as unhealthy as it sounds. I threw together a healthier version of this by using more egg whites than yolks and less sugar. It's never going to be perfect but it's great to make naughty dishes a little more angelic. I made a bloomer bread loaf on the big snow day we had the other week and I used the leftover slices for this snowy Sunday breakfast. With Mother's Day coming up next month this would be perfect to make for any hard working Mum, I know mine definitely deserves a special breakfast.
My gym finally opened up on Friday across the road from work, it was great being able to go there for a swim, get changed and just head across the road to the office. I swam 40 lengths, which was way more than I've done in ages so I've been pretty achy over the weekend. I love swimming though, that time to yourself just swimming up and down the pool is so lovely before work. Getting in some decent exercise in the week means cooking up French toast on a Sunday doesn't need to make you feel guilty at all. I like the 80/20 rule with regards to diets, basically being good 80% of the time and allowing yourself the little luxuries the other 20%. So, if I eat delicious ryvita for lunch and grilled fish with brown rice or roasted veg for dinner I can eat a slice of cake or a mini pile of pancakes at the weekend and feel pretty ok about myself.
Not to get into a whole rant about dieting on a baking blog, because no-one wants to read about that when looking at yummy food, but  I want to enjoy what I eat and not feel consumed by guilt with each slice of pizza or square of chocolate. I think the lesson that we should pass on is just 'everything in moderation'. But enough of that talk. Here's how to make the best healthy(ish) French toast.
Healthy French Toast
(adapted from Good Housekeeping)
(serves 2-3)
2 egg whites
1 egg
180ml skimmed milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
10g low fat spread or butter
6 slices of bread
For the fruit compote:
100g frozen berries
1 tablespoon sugar/sweetener
splash of water
icing sugar, to decorate
  1. Whisk together the eggs, milk and vanilla in a shallow dish. Melt the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat.
  2. Dip the bread in the egg mix and cover both sides. Place in the frying pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side.
  3. Whilst the bread is cooking, place the fruit in a pan with the sugar and water over a medium heat and cook until the fruit softens but still holds it's shape.
  4. Layer the French toast on a plate, top with the compote and a sprinkle of icing sugar and serve with a fresh cafetiere of coffee or a pot of tea.