Today is my birthday. 27. Oh God. I honestly don't know where the time goes.
I had planned to make a cake but a giant cookie just seemed much more appropriate from 3 years away from 30. I definitely made the right choice. I'm off work today, I've always made it a point to have my birthday off work, last year I decided to work and it kind of sucked but I'm having a really nice relaxing day so far. I had a driving lesson this morning and Nick took me to buy a new dress. I wasn't too fussed about presents really seeing as I got such an awesome one at the weekend.
We are off out for dinner tonight at Greenway Hall Golf Club, a friend of ours is a chef there and his pictures of the food always look amazing so I'm excited to try it out. If I have any room left (which I highly doubt) I can always eat leftover giant cookie when I get home.
If you're unfamiliar with a skillet it's basically a cast iron frying pan - if you are familiar I'm sorry for telling you the obvious. I got mine for the bargain price of £5 in Aldi one day and it's fantastic for things like frittatas because you can finish them off in the oven without melting any plastic handles.
We went and bought a new BBQ today. We are hoping the weather holds out for Saturday (it's looking ok so far) as we are having a little engagement celebration. We are borrowing Nick's Dad's garden as sadly we don't have one yet but at some point this year we will have a garden, I'm a little too excited about this. I want to have a few herbs and maybe even some vegetables growing at the bottom of our own little Eden. Ambitious much?
Salted Double Chocolate Chip and Pistachio Skillet Cookie
(adapted from Call Me Cupcake)
110g caster sugar
110g light brown sugar
1 medium egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
200g plain flour
25g cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
100g milk chocolate chip chunks
30g toasted and lightly salted pistachios, shelled
pinch of fleur de sel
- Preheat oven to 180 C/350 F.
- Melt the butter in the skillet. Add the sugars, stir and remove from the heat to let cool for a few minutes.
- Stir in the egg and vanilla extract (do this quickly so the egg doesn't cook).
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, bicarb and salt then add to the butter mixture in two halves.
- Stir in chocolate chips and pistachios. Bake in the skillet for around 20-25 minutes until it is crisp around the edges and soft in the middle.
- It's heaven served with a few scoops of ice cream in the middle and everyone digging in round the table.