Christmas, for me, is not complete without a box of After Eights on the table after the main meal. I remember Christmas dinner at my grandparents when the food was cleared away and the table lay strewn with empty coffee cups and screwed up After Eight wrappers. It's such a comforting memory and I love to think about those Christmases. I'm so excited for Christmas next week but most of all for when we travel over to see my family. Christmas Day for us will be quiet but the day after Boxing Day is always my favourite because everyone descends on my parent's house to swap gifts and then the next day we always go to my friend's house for a tiny shindig...the number of babies is increasing every year!
Strangely, I've never thought to do anything with After Eights other than eat them straight out the box but when they got in touch with me to ask if I'd like to try out one of their dessert recipes I jumped at the chance. I decided to try out the chocolate mint fondant sundaes because they sounded delicious and, as a first time Mum who will be attempting Christmas dinner, I wanted a dessert that would be quick to throw together but impressive after all that turkey.
For our tea this week I somehow found the time to cook a chicken dinner. This is largely thanks to using a baby sling so I can walk round the house with two free hands whilst carrying Matilda. Unless she's deeply asleep she doesn't like to be put down...what baby does though? She very much likes being held but this makes it difficult to get anything done during the day. I made extra work for myself today by baking the brownies that go in the base of the sundaes but it's much easier to use shop bought. I used the basic recipe from my brown butter dark chocolate brownies. This is a really lovely dessert and very easy to make. I know a lot of people aren't a fan of Christmas pudding...Nick isn't...so it's nice to have a back up dessert that will keep everyone happy.
Chocolate Mint Fondant Sundaes
(recipe from After Eight)
175g chocolate brownie or sponge (I used this recipe minus the nuts but shop bought is fine)
150g (18) After Eight mints
100ml whipping cream
50g creme fraiche
60g creme fraiche
dark chocolate, grated
- Break up the brownies into chunks and divide between 4 serving glasses.
- Melt the After Eights in a bowl over a pan of simmering water (or for 20 seconds in a microwave). Add a tablespoon of boiling water and mix until smooth and thick.
- Take 1/3 of the melted After Eight mix and spoon it over the brownies in the glasses.
- Whip the cream until thick and add in the 50g creme fraiche and the remaining melted After Eights and fold in. Divide between the serving glasses and top with a dollop of creme fraiche and a grating of dark chocolate.
- Chill for 30 minutes before serving.