I got a waffle iron and I am a contented woman (kitchen appliance wise - obviously Matilda contented me with life!). When I ordered it I had this worry in my gut that I really didn't need more appliances filling up the kitchen cupboards but as soon as I'd made the first waffle I knew it was money well spent.
(waffles fairly heavily adapted from Top with Cinnamon)
makes 4 waffles
60g buckwheat flour
30g ground almonds
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
60g caster sugar
1/4 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ripe banana, mashed
125ml coconut milk
2 teaspoons vegetable oil/melted butter
for the sauce:
275ml (or the rest of the tin) coconut milk
100g dark chocolate, broken up
chopped hazelnuts, for sprinkling
- In a large bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together.
- Whisk the liquid ingredients in a jug and add to the dry mix. Mix until just combined.
- Let your waffle iron heat up according to instructions and add 80ml/5 tablespoons of batter to the middle of the iron and press the top down.
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes and remove. Don't pile the waffles on top of each other though as they'll get damp, lie them side by side on a wire rack while you finish the rest of them off.
- For the sauce, heat the coconut milk in a small pan until it just starts to simmer, Remove from the heat and add the chocolate, stirring until it's all melted.