I meant to post this recipe this morning but every time I sat down to finish writing it Matilda had other ideas and she hasn't been 100% today so I'm finishing it off now she's in bed. Last night she slept for 11 hours! I'm not sure if we'll get that again tonight because of how she's been today but I'm grateful for small wonders. As I write this I'm on edge because I can hear her snuffling on the baby monitor and it could go two ways...either she wakes and we go through getting her to sleep again or she makes it through a REM cycle and stays asleep a while longer. Never have I lived with so much uncertainty than when I put my baby to bed.
If I can get this post up and out then I'm hoping to squeeze in a bath before bed. I treated myself to a Lush bath bomb last Friday and I want to use it before it disintegrates. I need half an hour sat in hot bubbles with a magazine and a song that isn't about 5 little ducks going swimming one day. I tell no lies, that song is the only song that will stop Matilda crying and Nick and I sing it many times in a day. Last week Nick even went from 100 down to 50 ducks. Damn those ducks.
What IS certain however, is how good this molton chocolate coffee mess is. I wasn't sure how to beat last week's cookie butter cheesecake but I'm pretty happy with this. The cake part of the pudding is unbelievably light and it's so good with the sauce. I topped mine with my new favourite food, Aldi's Columbian Coffee ice cream. It's so good, especially when the ice cream melts into the sauce at the bottom. I'm desperate for an excuse to make it again because otherwise I could very well end up each the whole thing myself.
I'll finish by saying: when in doubt, always add more bourbon.
Boozy Self Saucing Espresso Chocolate Pudding
(adapted from What Katie Ate)
100g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
45g cocoa powder
60g dark brown sugar
50ml strong coffee (made with 2 heaped teaspoons instant coffee and 50ml hot water)
100ml almond milk
50g unsalted butter, melted
for the topping:
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 heaped teaspoon instant coffee
50ml bourbon (I used Jim Beam)
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / 350 F. Grease a pudding dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, almond milk, coffee, egg and dark brown sugar.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder and mix until smooth. Pour into the pudding dish.
- In a saucepan whisk together the topping ingredients and heat until just starting to boil.
- Pour the sauce over the top of the pudding mix. It will completely cover it and might look as if you've made a mess but trust me.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes. Leave to cool for 5-10 minutes and serve warm with [coffee] ice cream.